Sunday, May 17, 2009

Multi-generational books

Here is a picture of Lydia with her current favorite book, "D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths". When were packing for England, we tried very hard to not to put too many books into the boxes, but this was one that we threw in. It brings back nice memories to see her so absorbed, since when I was a kid I spent many hours reading (and reading, and re-reading...) the same stories. Back then when I was reading and I came across a peculiar Greek name, maybe "Mnemosyne", or "Asclepius", in my mind I would choose a particular pronunciation for it (nearly always wrong), then continue on with the story. Later on while talking about the story with my parents, I would repeat the name and they would have no idea who I was talking about. Not surprisingly, Lydia does exactly the same thing now with us. Deja vu all over again, as Yogi Berra would say.



Lydia's class at school is studying the ancient Greeks, which also help build her enthusiasm. Last week they had Greek Day; she and all of her classmates came to school dressed as Greeks. Most of her friends had carefully hand-sewn costumes, but alas, Amy and I are not that good with the needle & thread (we also don't actually have any old sheets we could sacrifice), so we wound up ordering an outfit off the internet (Lydia didn't seem to mind at all).

No comments: