Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Twenty First Century Thumb Twiddling

Our hapless system administrator (we are now down to a single person to support our entire lab) has been given the task of moving all of our files from the "old" network-attached storage device (basically just a big file server) to the "new" (and theoretically improved) network-attached storage device. This has not gone especially smoothly. This morning I logged into the machines at work and was able to get about 20 minutes of programming done before everything locked up completely. Those of you out there in the high tech world will (I am sure) be familiar with the dreaded message "NFS server not responding, still trying".

Accordingly, I have: surfed the web (extensively), read a bunch of research papers, read the blogs I follow, done a load of laundry, put away all the laundry from previous loads, gone to the grocery store to buy food for dinner, cleaned up the kitchen, ... and now I am (of course) writing this post.

This is actually one of the distinct drawbacks of my current work existence-- if things go wrong with the machines at work, there is really not a whole lot I can do about it, since the start of my work day is at midnight California time (not a whole lot of people in the machine room around then).

No comments: