Wednesday, June 2, 2010

More comics for girls

Back in January, I posted a grumble about how there weren't enough good graphic novel adventure stories oriented towards girls (e.g. with female main characters). Since then, I've found some more books that I think meet the necessary criteria.  First, "Smile" by Raina Tegelmeier:


Raina Telgemeier's stories are a little on the melodramatic side for my tastes, but I like them nonetheless, and but Lydia likes them a lot. The plots tend to revolve almost entirely around the social life of the main character: school, friends, parents, etc.  Ethan tried a couple but didn't seem interested. A second book is "Rapunzel's Revenge" by Shannon and Dean Hale:



I really enjoyed this one, as did both my kids. This is a retelling of the Rapunzel folk tale, with Rapunzel recast as a sort of strong, independent, female action hero. The plot is very good -- it's a real adventure story, and the artwork is fantastic.  There is a sequel called "Calamity Jack", but I didn't have quite as much fun with it. The last book is "Mercury", by Hope Larson:


This is cool little graphic novel featuring a female teenage character, set in Canada. The point of view of the novel jumps back and forth between the present day and the "gold rush" era in the 1860's. The artwork is not as spectacular as the Rapunzel book (it is drawn in black & white), but given the nature of the story, I think it actually works better with a more graphically minimalist approach.

No comments: