Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Cycling

Here are a couple of pix of my trusty bicycle, which I have been using religiously since we arrived here in Cambridge-- cycling has become a huge part of our everyday life. If you look closely at the odometer, it reads 221 miles, which over 6 weeks averages out to about 5 miles a day, which seems like a lot. Still, if you figure that I bike to and from school (St Faiths) twice a day during the week, that gets me pretty close to 5 miles already, then once you add in a bunch of longer rides on the weekend, it makes sense.



I am especially proud of my kids for all the biking they have done since we arrived here! There has been remarkably little complaining (all things considered), and they are developing into very competent cyclists as a result of all the mileage. The morning rides are definitely challenging-- sometimes it is quite cold, the pavement can be slick, there are cow pies to be dodged in poor light (on the Llamas Land portion of the ride), and all of the other bikers on the paths are usually in a hurry and biking aggressively.



I do worry every now and then about bike safety. If you bike a lot, sooner or later you are going to get into a bike accident of some sort: it's really just a matter of time. Both Amy and I have had several close calls while biking, and both Ethan and Lydia have had (minor) spills while biking to and from school.

Interestingly enough, you see very few "real" mountain bikes on the roads around here, compared to the USA. There are plenty of hybrids and bikes with "sort of" mountain geometry, but really most of the cycles you see out there were purpose built for commuting, which is kind of neat. Folding bicycles are also very popular; it's reallyquite common for people who work in the city to park on the outskirts, haul the bike out of their trunk, unfold it, and go by cycle from there.

I hope all of our bikes manage to make it through the year, given the heavy use. My bike has developed a bunch of slightly ominous clicking/crunching noises-- I am hoping that if I ignore them, they will go away...

No comments: